Thursday, July 1, 2010

July 1, 2010

Kristin, Claire, and I smiling in the rain
Embracing the monsoon
What is this foreign substance? Rain!!!! Yay for my farmers!
A new month embraced me with the wonderful monsoon rain. I thought it rained last night, but it was nothing like tonight. We were so excited, especially me, we decided to head outside and get drenched by the pounding droplets! They were all ready to go swimming, so instead we swam - but the water came to us! As we were frolicking around in the rain on the fields used for football (soccer) and cricket (similar to baseball) we noticed something very funny! There were 3 people under the pavilion just watching us. They were waiting out the rain and we came leaping and giggling outside to get drenched by the rain! (Guess who the foreigners were!) It was so much fun, they have a giant playground here also for the kids, and those slides were really really fast in the wet!
Then, after returning in from the rain, I thought of the most practical idea to wash my hair while it was still wet! We also had planned to have a coloring party tonight in Claire's room (b/c she brought colors and books!) so I drew a wonderful picture I will maybe upload tomorrow. :) We were hungry and went to supper in the lighter falling rain. After supper I was pretty tired and headed to bed shortly afterwards. I first had to figure out some internet connectivity issues, so now my username is my name. (That means I am probably being charged, but Lisa from the WFP said they will be covering that b/c they don't want us to have to pay for our internet. Most other interns get free net service at their Institutes.)
Work today was good also. I sent off my proposal to my mentors before work, worked on developing questions for my village visit, and also studied the Indian system of governance. All very exciting things b/c they are bringing me one step closer to visiting my village and meeting the people. I am excited to hear the feedback from my mentors and make all necessary changes. Tomorrow is Friday and then the wonderful weekend! Time sure flies here.
P.S. Tonight I was going to head to bed, but then went back into Claire's room quick. I said, "I don't know if you guys are very huggy people, but I don't think we've been getting too many hugs over here!" Kristin leaped up and hugged me - she said she was a huggy person! Now we are going to start giving hugs before bed to truly seal our Indian family membership!
Counting down for the weekend!
Leah


1 comment:

  1. I oughta be paying you for your blogging, Leah, because I feel like I'm right there experiencing it with you. Love all the details! I'm so happy that this experience is such a postive one! Thanks for sharing it with us here!

    ReplyDelete