Monday, July 19, 2010

A Whole New World, A Whole New Me

The Change
It is hard to describe the changes that I feel,
the culmination of these experiences which were ever so real.
The laughter, talks, and companionship shared,
the way languages were overcome to show each other we cared.
What joy and what peace - they live a truly beautiful life,
but, a life also plagued with inconceivable strife.
This was the reason we came and we saw,
but one visit alone cannot change the corrupted law.
One internship to experience with just 8 wks. to give,
can never transform the evils in the world in which we live.
So instead I now look at things in a different light,
I have been spreading my wings and learning a new flight.
For no matter what one does - it can never be enough,
and there will always be simply more - more stuff.
More stuff that needs learning, doing, and saying,
More stuff that needs loving, healing, and praying.
This new flight acknowledges the truth in this land,
that life for all people will live on as God has planned.
However, all bad things will sadly continue as well,
as long as there is Heaven - there must be a Hell.
But life is a perspective - merely a state of mind.
What is this fellowship which we call mankind?
It is a single opportunity - and a fleeting one at that,
to step up to the plate and pick up the bat.
One chance we are given to swing and to run,
to enjoy one another in our days under the sun.
To fight the inequities which we can see,
to experience new cultures and break for tea.
To love - just love - the gift of life we have received,
to thank God each moment we have been conceived.
The true gifts of this life are not tangible items on earth,
they are love, companionship, joy and mirth.
They are not acclaims awarded or medals won,
they are not money accumulated or deals done.
The true gifts can be shared regardless of age, color, or class,
these true gifts are central to the most holy Mass.
It is not only an option to share in these intangible jewels,
but a duty to do so - breaking whatever social rules.
Whatever rules teach us we are different than the rest,
whatever rules inform that we are the best.
Whatever rules confine, restrict, and decrease our love,
to follow these rules is to be like a wingless dove.
The most valuable ingredients in life must be cherished and kept,
never covered by a bush or under a stairwell swept.
We cannot give into the rules of prejudice, anger and pride,
we must ask ourselves for what reason Jesus Christ died.
And ultimately, after this introspective time -
this deep and thorough internal mime -
a peace can be reached which has not been found before,
a peace that keeps you wanting more and more.
We must do what we can - while we can - where we are,
whether home or away - whether near or quite far.
We must find the way to fulfill our desires,
to refuel our tanks and fill our tires.
The mission for each person is never the same,
some may be destined to work with the lame.
Others inclined to help save an injured cow,
(yes, I picked this animal, don't ask me how!).
Whatever it is, pick up your mission and walk,
and do not forget to always remember to talk.
To talk to each other and to talk with God -
the only reason we are living on this earthly sod.
After my experiences in the villages this past week,
I have so much to say - it is just worthy words I seek.
Words worthy of communicating all the beauty around,
the beauty that within every person can be found.
I currently may look a bit disheveled, tired, and weak,
I may appear to be homely, worn down, and meek.
However, within I am radiant - beaming with joy,
my emotions are changing like a child's favorite toy.
I am overcome with the feelings of gratitude and praise,
for all things, including the grains of sorghum, wheat, and maize.
The person I am is not the same - not now,
something within me moved in those villages- I do not know how.
A beautiful experience I have had I will never forget,
the kids played with and the farmers met.
I cannot wait to tell you more about each day,
Each day I woke up, lived, and slept in a land far away.
First I must rest and settle back into my temporary home,
for just under four weeks - at which time I will again roam.
Roam about making another home for myself,
taking care of my passions, studies, and health.
A life ahead and so many interesting things to pursue,
so many ideas to think, see and do.
But sleep is essential and I best be headed off now,
Any last words? Yes, please. Just, "Wow."

1 comment: