Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 7, 2010 - Leah's Wonderful, Fantastic, Altogether Productive Day!

Boy oh boy, do I have a lot to tell you! Today was just a wonderful day - I am simply estatic for some reason. Well, I guess for a lot of reasons. Where to begin? Morning. It is easier that way. So, this morning I woke up early - before my alarm - after my wide range of emotions last night that I kept to a minimum on the blog. (Nothing revolutionary, just the tourist frustrations and so on.) I went to breakfast a little early also due to the early wake-up time - actually - last night it rained a lot, so I think I might sleep lighter when that happens. But, I was charged up for today, very motivated, and not tired, so I do not know. (I am skipping ahead, but I took NO tea breaks today - I was working hard!) Anyway, they had these cute bananas this morning - a couple of mini ones, so that was fun. I finally was able to buy bananas at the cafe again - and eat them! Crazy idea, huh? Eat a banana. . .before it goes black!!! Anyway, oh, another great thing: this morning on the papaya slices, there were these decorative lime slices. Well, decorative for some people. I almost let them sit, but them decided to squeeze them all over the fruit like a true fearless payaya and lime eater would, and it was great! A little limey! Imagine that :)

Anyway, losing focus here, so then I came back to my room and finished getting things ready for work a little bit, and decided to try to call home. You see the phone has been out or something, so I have been unsuccessful in this regard for ages, something with the rain at home. But. . .today it worked! And it was great to talk to Mom and Dad, mostly about college technicalities I guess, but quite enjoyable nevertheless. That was a good morning so far, and then it was time to run off to work. So I power-walked as fast as these little legs could carry me and got things set up there. Fill water bottle, set up computer, etc. (I drink more water here, most everyone drinks a lot of water and most drink tea also. That is good - I am quite pleased with my higher hydration levels.) Ok, back to work.

So, last night I sent an email to some work people and my supervisors. This was to send a revised copy of my research proposal - I know what you people are thinking, "revised? again? are you ever going to actually do it?!?!" So, yes, I am, but I first need much revising time and this part of the experiment is crucial. If you do not properly set up your study with a strong base of support and an adequate amount of background work, no one will value your results or take them seriously. In the email, at the end I said something along the lines of "Dr. Supervisor, I look forward to speaking with you about your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions for change this week if possible. I will stop in tomorrow morning to set up a time that works for you." So, sure enough, this morning I marched in there ready to set up our fancy dancy little time, and he was so nice and it was really funny.
So, when I approached his door, he was smirking and kind of laughing a little bit at his computer screen. (I knew then, he was reading what I sent him.) He invited me in and said he just received my email and then he said, "and why all of this?" He then read aloud the couple of sentences from my email, saying "blah, blah, set up a time that works for you. . ." He said, "Why all of this? You can come in anytime, no need to set up a time." So, that was really nice and I am so grateful he is willing to take so much time to help me. I mean, he has really important things to do and I am kind of just a pesky intern, but it is great when at least they don't make you feel like that. He also said that what I had sent looked good and he was . . . satisfied! Yay! So, those words were golden to me. I allowed him time to read through my proposal and we arranged to meet after lunch.
Also, a person at work is back from home leave. He is from Kenya and is really nice! Really, really nice, and very helpful to me (to the nth degree!). He works through the United Nations and is stationed at ICRISAT for 3 years. He was telling me all about his program and telling me to look into it. It sounds really cool! (Some on this trip want me to go into the foreign service - state department guy - others want me to work with U.N., and others want me to work with research institutes. . .I like these fun ideas!) Anyway, he went through my proposal and was so helpful and kind. He complimented it and asked what my education was again, so that was cool :) Also, he has the cutest story.
So, he has an adorable 3 year old son. His son moved so much in his first couple years of life, he started to learn just all of these different languages - around 5 or so! They were a little worried though because he wasn't talking in sentences yet when others his age were (a while ago) so his wife moved back home to Kenya with him. He is now babbling in that native tongue, and now he can begin to learn other languages soon, as soon as he gets one down first! The kid has been to more countries than me - and he is three! The father (who works at ICRISAT with U.N.) just got back from a home visit to Kenya for a month. It must have been so nice to see everyone again for him - I think it would be so sad to be away for such a time.
So, after my wonderfully helpful convo. with him, (I mean really helpful and great) - he was helping me with the whole editing my questions bit because he has experience with the village level studies, and . . . I don't! :), I went to meet with my supervisor, (this is after lunch).
Oh no! I totally forgot about lunch! How could I? Today was my favorite lunch/meal in general of the entire trip. I mean favorite! This was a big big deal. Also, I tried to take a picture because it was so terribly exciting, although it would never have been able to capture the true beauty, but my camera memory stick was in my laptop! Back at my desk in the office! And there was no way I was going to delay my delectable lunch to go get it. Sorry guys, I'll try again next time. So, just try to visualize for now.
Well, after our somewhat late arrival home last night, like 9 o'clock, the cafe was closed, and I wasn't too hungry at that time anyway. So I had a small supper from the fridge and went to bed shortly. Then, I had a good breakfast, but was still ready for a great lunch! So, here goes, I will try to remember it all. I had a vegetable curry dish (delicious!), an okra dish (cut up), two little dishes of freshly cut tomatoes, purple onions, and cucumbers, 3 chapatis (which are these little whole wheat tortilla-like flat breads (round and all - think tortilla), and a little dish of this cut up cabbage and apple mixed together. Oh yeah, I also got bananas to keep in the fridge also - they must have thought, "Wowee!" Anyway, what you do is rip off the chutney and use it to eat the curry (and I used it to eat some of the other vegetable dishes also). It was wonderful and a little too much I thought later when I was barely hungry for supper. (But of course I got a light supper, or the cycle would repeat!)
Anyway, a quick run home to brush teeth and then back to work. Now I am meeting with supervisor and he told me there was a lot to go through so he would take it home and go through it. Then the man from earlier (really helpful/Kenyan) walks in. It was funny because I literally just left the other man's office. We talked a little - I need to open my topic back up to formal institutions if I want to study the adaptation to climate change, which I do, so that will be a little more difficult, but I am up for the challenge. (Just a lot to do in a little time!) Anyway, then they just were talking a little, and I got to the point of -ok should I leave now? or would that be rude? - this happens often when you are learning other cultures :) I was just about to biff, when he then was going to show the pictures from his vacation he just went on (my supervisor). So, he told me to come to the other side of the desk to see them. Yay! Direction! I learned about his family and it was so nice - he has an adorable 5 yr. old boy and a beautiful wife. It was great to learn more about him. Also, he is technically a gov. employee also, so gets insane rates on accomodations in the country and was telling me how if I ever want to set up weekend trips or anything, I could get some great rates. So that was really kind of him also. (Everyone is just "really kind!") I didn't get into the whole tourist bit :)
So, then he was going to look over my proposal overnight and the other man already helped me with it. So (ok Bob is supervisor and Fred is with U.N.) So. . . Fred already helped me with it and I had changes to make which would make it stronger. I decided I wanted to try to make the changes before Bob would take it home to critique. So, I got to work like a madwoman - with the clock as my only opponent. My workmate left and I finally got to the point where I thought I could accomplish my task soon. I went and asked him how late he would stay and he told me - so I told him the plan, packed up my things, sprinted (in a fast walky sort of way home - to dorm) and then was able to get it sent with about 10 min. to spare. So, hopefully that all worked out. No time to worry now.
Then, I decided to head to the gym after my mountain of a lunch. I had a great workout and feel great - it was really funny though. So on my way to the workout, I was thinking how I just felt a little sluggish you know, not bad, but just a little subdued, maybe sleepy. This may seem normal, but of course when you are in another country you take care of yourself a little more, so I started going through things in my head, and then I finally diagnosed myself (thank you very much). You know, I felt the glands and the whole bit. I was suffering from the . . . brace yourself people, this may shock/horrify/frighten you. From the . . . pre-workout lazies. That is right, you know the time when you like to make excuses to postpone for another day? Anyway, I pushed through my range of symptoms and had a great workout and then felt great!
So, then after supper, and this longer than long can be blog, I think I am finally ready for bed! I have more to do for work - now I will have a lot to do for work, always! But you have to cut yourself some slack every now and then too. I will wake up early tomorrow if I am feeling well-rested. (Or if it rains hard!)
Ok, so now is the point where I add in all the things I forgot:
1) It was "sari day" at work today, so all the ladies in the office wore these beautiful saris - it was awesome - saris are what are worn for special occasions/weddings/ceremonies/etc. usually.
2) Also, every time my workmate would sneeze I would say, "God bless you!" Finally one day after she sneezed, she asked me what I always said to her! I told her and explained it a bit, and then one day, I sneezed. Twice. Loud. You guessed it. Each time she said, "God bless you" to me! Then today, she sneezed and I - of course - said, "God bless you!" My friend from Indonesia/then Singapore/etc - (the other intern, Andre) said, "what did you say?" Ha, ha! So this culture sharing never stops. It is the coolest thing ever. To have such mutual respect for one another's lifestyle/background/religion/culture/customs/etc.
Who knows, maybe this campus will be asking God for blessings whenever they hear someone sneeze before I check out of here!
Finally, (you can be the one to thank God), I am done for tonight. Sorry, no pics., no videos, just lovely Leah narrative.
This is Leah signing off. . . from the other side. Same sky, same humankind, just different things in between.
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment