Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lots Ahappening at ICRISAT

My friend had me try on her scarf, and then she took my picture! (Don't worry, we closed the door first!) I have decided, I just don't have the look down yet!
Chandrakala - my good friend and workmate. I made her pose for me so I could try to capture her beautiful outfit. The clothes here are so wonderful - creative, unique, and pretty! (I remember when I first met her and was told she was nice. The only thing I could think of was how I was never going to remember her name! Now, it is second nature to me!
This is a treat that was brought around today at work and shared.
My friend, Anubha's, cake at lunch. It was so beautiful, I had to take a picture! They always have the most beautiful and decadent deserts here - both Indian and Western!

This was a picture of a dish I tried at lunch. It was so weird - today was a really off day lunchwise. Everyone agreed. It was the first time pretty much ever. I said, well, an experience is an experience, so it qualifies as a picture-taking opportunity! Then I came back to my room and had some bananas and chapati! :)
Funny thing was, that at supper, there were tooooo many delectable dishes!! They definitely made up for it in the heart of my Western friends and me.
Today at work I worked on my proposal for my village visit - hopefully that will take place next week. It was an interesting day because I was trying to plan what I hope will be 6 jam-packed days away from this place that has been my home for the past 3.5 wks. It is like I am taking all that I know and tossing it out the window . . . and loving it! This place has clean water, it has nutritious and delicious food, and it has all of my friends I have bonded with since arriving. My ICRISAT home away from home. But frankly, I think I am ready. I want to experience the real India. To see more of what lies beyond the pristine walls of this estate. To truly meet and come to understand what the face of poverty is. What the lifestyle and culture is of a hard-working farm village that works their bodies into the ground to provide enough to live. Enough to eat. Enough to survive.
I come from a similar-sensed, hard-working farming community. However, the lifestyles that we live are usually not even comparable. Hard work is to be respected - no matter who is doing it. However, hard work to buy a new car and hard work to hopefully provide enough so your family can fulfill their dietary requirements are two different things. Can you imagine? Not knowing your future? Not knowing if you will get any rain to give you food to eat? I am very interested to learn the results of my study and to be able to generate my report on my research.
I am very interested to have this wild and new experience next week, hopefully. I was able to get here safely - through Dubai of course - and overcome a million unforseen obstacles through the grace of God, so I know that His providence will continue to provide, shelter, and protect me on my journey. I will keep you all posted after my meeting at work. (This afternoon, my boss returned, but I have yet to meet with her or to meet her at all!) It would be crazy to return back to work after so much time away - especially when you have such a giant job.
Here are some side notes:
-One of Claire's supervisors lives on our floor and she is the sweetest woman. She is like a mother to everyone. She feeds the cats milk, she has a pet bunny, she is always making our floor smell de-lic-ious with her cooking. Oh my, I wish I could stick that in an envelope and send it home. She is so nice and today gave me 2 mangoes - just because! Out of the kindness of her heart! And they are ripe also! I am so excited for my first ripe mangoes!!!
- The breeze feels so nice here. Today it did not rain and it seemed peculiar. I am accustomed to my daily sprinkles :)
- My friend, Anubha leaves this Saturday morning and my friend, Harshan also. It is so bittersweet - both. I am incredibly happy for them. They will be missed. True kind and beautiful spirits. Mom, I wish you could meat Anubha. You would just love her. She has a presence about her - full of joy and peace. Radiating contentness.
- Friday night is a pizza and dance party to celebrate her success here and our love for her!
- Ok, bed time! Good night - good night!!! More tomorrow, have a good day Iowa!





No comments:

Post a Comment