Friday, July 9, 2010

July 9th, the end of week three

I can't believe I sent off my third progress report this week, or that it was my third progress report, period. The fact that it is Friday also is crazy - the weeks just seem to fly by. I want to stretch my weekends, but then by the time the week comes, it is over! It is very interesting to be working on the same thing all day though - like a job, rather than school where you have many subjects. I enjoy the intensive study, but am happy I don't do school one class at a time or anything like that.
My proposal and questionnaire for the village visit are pretty much complete, and so much work has gone into them. One problem though. I would need to be in the village until August 18th if I wanted to collect all of the data my study requires! I have developed (with a trillion revisions) finally, something that would make a great study, however, a great study for a masters program or something - not a 2 month internship. My boss did make some hints also, looking wistfully at the computer screen after sharing his satisfaction with my proposal, if there was only more time. . . I think these subtle hints are finally sinking in. In an earlier convo. with my mom (that motherly wisdom), she started asking how many people I thought I needed to talk with, due to the length of the interviews.
So, I am exploring options of changing my methodology from millions of individual interviews (which provide statistical analysis opportunities) and focus group discussions (which back up the statistics obtained in individual interviews, hopefully) to something more focused on case studies, which would be deeper looks into chosen households, perhaps accompanied by either other personal interviews OR focus group discussions, but not both. So, I am going to do some thinking this weekend.
I also am going to pick my college classes - which has an approaching deadline. And if I am feeling really adventurous, I will take both placement exams needed for college also. -Another opportunity is to go to the mall with some friends, one of which is leaving.
Everyone seems to be leaving in shifts, so the numbers will be dwindling towards the end of the internship unless we get some quick replacements. That will be good for the focus while frantically writing my proposal I guess, but of course all of these holes will exist in our ICRISAT family!
I will take pictures of all my friends before they leave, so you can know just which ones are headed out at what time. Tonight after work, I met with my boss and left my door open with my laptop and stuff in the room. One of the senior scientists in our little wing closed the outside door off the hallway which locks, so I was locked out of my room! It was awful! I was supposed to meet my friend to go to the gym at like 5:30 but was waiting for security in my office until 6:00. Of course that provided some thinking time about my whole project and one of my work friends was working late and provided some of his opinions in on my situation. After finally getting in the guard had to take my name and all this stuff, I am pretty sure my department may get a fine for this - but I don't know. I think my boss felt pretty bad (because he was leaving - I think with a carpool), he told me I could wait in his office if I wanted, so I could use his internet! That was sweet, but I hardly felt comfortable doing that, so I just hung out with my work friend instead.

I also found out when I went to work out later than ever before that that working out late at night is equivalent to being a blood donor, so I have done my charitable deed for the day. Although, I did not save three lives. First of all, I smashed one against the mirror and then maybe helped one little guy out - but the other ones didn't get me. It was so funny. I had a shortened workout because I was like, ok, what do mosquitoes like? CO2 - breathing that out quickly. Warmth - heating up with the weight-lifting. Moisture - sweating from the exertion. And dark or bright clothing - and I was wearing either black or bright clothes! Check, check, and check!
Then I caught up with my friends at supper and went to Christen's room to talk over some of my research dilemma. I was sitting in my room thinking through everything when I was like, "Duh Leah! You just left a whole table full of intelligent minds at supper, and 2 minds are better than one!" - especially for bouncing off ideas, so I went to Christen's room and talked about some options for my project. I think I will turn in now and think some more tomorrow. This weekend came at a great time! Next week the head head boss comes back, so I will be able to have a clearer game plan after this weekend filled with much thought.
Alrighty then, good night, sleep tight. I won't let my pet mosquito bite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment