Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Sunday: Mixed Emotions and Many Experiences

Where to begin? Sunday is my day to relax, pray, and come to terms with who I am, where I am, and who and where I want to be. Sunday is a wonderful day that allows me to remain grounded and seeing clearly throughout the entire week. On Sundays alone, I take the time to really reflect and think about my experiences, my emotions, and my life - both here and in the United States.
I woke up a little later than usual this morning, not going to bed as early as I would have liked. However, I had a rest-filled day yesterday, so I still got to sleep at an ok time. Christen, my friend, lent me a book called, The Way to Love. It is a compilation of the last meditations of Anthony De Mello, who was the director of the Sadhana Institute of Pastoral Counseling in Poona, India actually. He was a Jesuit priest and authored many books, this one being his last. It is a very thought-provoking book as it speaks about letting go of all attachments we hold onto in our lives and truly learning to love. It provides a basis for some deep conversation among the other interns and me.
So, maybe a little of that reading sparked the introspection, but I had quite the soul-searching day. I woke up as I said, then had some papaya and a banana for breakfast, and was all dressed to trek to the church. However, it had rained through the night and some combination of feelings sent me back to my room. I then thought of the brilliant idea to have virtual Mass - don't ask me why I have yet to do this. I recall thinking about it before I left, but upon arriving here, I kind of forgot about that option. That was wonderful, and I was so happy because I even knew every song they sang except for the last one! Then I thought maybe that would be my church for the day and I wouldn't make the journey to the St. Francis of Assisi Chapel. I went to lunch and upon coming back from that, I knew I needed to make the journey.
So, I set off with my hat and no sunscreen or sun clothing because it was an overcast morning. I also had my rosary, The Way to Love book, and "The Twelve Year Prayers of St. Bridget on the Passion of Jesus." (That is really cool by the way, you should look it up!) One of the security guards passed me on his motorcycle and said hi. They are so nice and are always around campus, they remind me of my guardian angels or something!
I was burdened with many frustrations on the way to the church, as I tried to work through my feelings of "never being able to do enough or make a large enough impact." I continued to explore my purpose for life and how I am supposed to contribute for some time until I finally came to peace in the church. The church is just this beautiful sanctuary for me - it doesn't matter I am thousands of miles from home - in the St. Francis of Assisi's church I am right at home. After awhile I left the church and began the journey back, passing lakes and some wooded areas, while hearing peacocks calling. (I found out the peacock is India's bird and there are a lot on the campus at ICRISAT, but I have yet to see one.)
I then saw this huge herd of goats in a valley on the other side of the fence from campus. (Before ICRISAT began here, there was something like 10 villages, but now the villages are moved and one of them is pretty much right next to the edge of campus.) There were also a few boys sitting at the top of a cliff overlooking some murky collected rainfall in the valley. They ran to the fence as they saw me approach and said, "Hi! Hi!" I thought they may just know that word like the other small boys from the village did the other time, but I was wrong! We met each other and learned all about one another. There were 5 boys in all, the two oldest were 16 yrs. old and the younger ones were probably around 9, 10, and 11. They were so nice!
We began to talk and they asked me all sorts of questions like where I was from, what I was doing here, when I came, when I would go back, if I liked it here, why I wore a hat :), if I had a job, what I was doing, and other questions also. I told them how I go to the church on Sundays, and they were like, "Oh, Christian, Christian!" I said yes and pointed to my necklace. I found out they were Christians also and they were Catholic like me! Their parents do not farm, they work in the factory in the town instead. They wanted to know how much my hat cost and I wished I didn't have to tell them. I said a hat would cost maybe 10-12 dollars, and then one asked how many Rupees a dollar was. Another boy knew the answer before me, "Forty-seven." They were shocked at the high price. I felt bad and wanted to give them my hat! But they knew I wore it because the sun would burn my fair skin.
They also me about my age, my parents, my siblings, and if I was married. Typical question here :) I tried to explain I may not get married or I am too young, but I don't know if I explained that very clearly! They were curious about my rosary and the brochure with the 12 yr. prayers. on it. I showed them the rosary and then they knew what it was, they said they had some at home. I told them about miracle of Mary appearing to St. Bridget and why I have those prayers and they were so interested in it all. After a little while, the security guard came up on his motorcycle and I was interested to see what he would say about my friend-making! The boys said a little to him in Telagu, the common language for the state of Maharashtra, and he smiled, saying, "Carry on then," as he drove off.
I asked the boys what they said to him and told me they said hello. (I then tried to learn the Telagu word for hello, but that got too confusing because they use a different greeting depending on the age of the person, their marital status, and whether they are male or female.) I didn't bring my camera to the church today so I was unable to take their picture, but after thinking about it, I was happy I did not have it with me. I would rather die of shame than have to tell them how much my camera costs in the U.S. (not to mention electronics are inflated 200% from their price in the U.S. here!). They asked me if I ate breakfast and what I had, so I told them. Then I asked them and they had some chapati, one other type of bread, I think one also had some rice, and they had honey and jam with it.
It was so neat to meet with these boys, they go to school in English, that is why their language skills were so good. I complimented them and they asked if I spoke Telagu. I sadly shook my head no. "Hindi?" No again. "Just English?" I said, "Yes and Spanish too. But I am not very good at that - still learning." (This conversation alone was enough incentive to keep me learning other languages!) They like to play cricket for fun and live in the village next to ICRISAT - that is where their church is also. They told me ICRISAT is famous in India and that was neat to hear, it felt good to be working with them. One of the most talkative boys had a little stutter and I found him so inspiring. He was maybe 12 yrs. old, had a little harder time getting his thoughts out than the other boys, yet he was the one leading the conversation - in English! This encounter was exactly what I had been needing - to have some interaction with some of the "real India."

After awhile, one of the boys said they were headed off, so we said our goodbyes. The boy (about 12, leading the convo.) reached some of his fingers through the fence to shake my hand (sort of). It was simply the neatest experience. I said goodbye and walked a few steps when I heard them shouting something after me. I went back and he was saying, "Praise God! Praise God!" as a farewell greeting. I said, "Praise God!" back to him and asked if they would like a rosary. They took it and I was happy I could at least give them something. I told them to share - he! How can 5 boys share a rosary? I do not know! But, they said they would.
I felt so fulfilled after having this conversation, then the security guard passed again and he smiled at me, saying, "Hi." They are so wonderful, they know I go to the church on Sundays and always are around on the road checking up on me. I am still searching for something more I can do to reach out here, but it was so exciting to have that experience today. Then two other boys said hi and asked me my name and I told them. When I was nearing my room on campus, an adorable Indian little girl said hi to me and asked me my name and where I was from! (I was popular today! I felt a little bad saying the U.S. You see I was wearing my big hat, boy gym shorts (long) and a t-shirt!) I think I better start wearing a little nicer clothes like I usually do. . . anyway, she was adorable and then I asked her name also.
Finally I am back in my room now and am so happy with all of the day's activities. I will head to supper in about an hour and a half now and maybe finish tidying up my room before that. Talking with the boys today makes me excited to go on my village visit in a couple of weeks.
So long for now :) "Praise God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment