Monday, July 5, 2010

July 5, One Whirl of a Monday

Jackfruit and I meet! And by the way, next to that ancient dust-collector is my up-to-date laptop. And no, no one uses computers like that, it is just sitting here for now :)
Also, if you see my orange scarfy thing, I felt so cool today, I was like, "yeah, gonna throw in a little indian wear with a little western and mix it all up!" Feeling good that is, until one of my work friends asked me in the hall with a concerned look on her face, "Leah, are you cold today?" At first I didn't get it and I was just like, "No, not really." Then it hit me - the indian and western mix and match really was not working out for me. Oh well, I thought it was cute, even if it didn't classify as Indian. . . Better luck next time, ay?
So, getting to my day. . . today I ran around like a chicken - with my head cut off! (Those images were not quite as cute, so you can thank me later!)

At work, I went through one of those - "oh boy, am I sure this is the research project I want to commit to?" stages. So, what did I do? Spent the whole (most of) the day running around being sent from person to person in search of the data I would need for my new project. This project was not really a new idea, but just one I have definetely not fully expanded upon yet. I am very interested in the topic and can see a lot of interesting conclusions being drawn, but . . .well, I am getting ahead of myself - I better tell you what it is.

This research project would have investigated the linkage between Bt cotton, institutions of credit, and farmer suicides in one of the villages in the state of Maharashtra. Maharashtra is currently having a crisis with the rising number of farmer suicides: From 2006-2008, the state had 12,493 farmer suicides, which is 85% higher than the 6,745 suicides recorded from 1997-1999. (http://www.indiatogether.org/2010/feb/psa-suicides.htm) The Bt cotton crazy was pushed on the farmers, selling them fabrications of grand harvests and full pocketbooks. However, when push came to shove, the Bt cotton did not produce and they were left with huge debts from the expensive biotech seeds they purchased. The institutions of credit also are significant because if one borrows from a gov. bank/institution, if their crop fails, they can get helped out. On the contrary, if one borrows from a friend or money lender, there is no government assistance and the interest just keeps accumulating until eventually the forces of debt, climate change, Bt cotton failures, and pressures become too great and they commit suicide. (There are definetely other factors as well - those are just some large ones I would have focused on.)

So, this project would have been fascinating - like many - but also very sticky because having a suicide in the household is a huge disgrace. Many are unreported, and because the man is head of the household, the family is then left to fend for themselves with the same debt and a much harder life ahead of them. So, after much talking with people I did decide against this topic because it is not quite feasible for me right now.

First of all, there is no data collected by ICRISAT on farmer suicides - I would have had to first find out what households have histories of suicides before analyzing any data whatsoever. Also, the village I would choose for this is in the neighboring state, which means it is roughly 12 hrs. away! And to put the cherry on top, I have just one month and about a week to set up my project, visit the village, analyze my data, come up with a conclusion, and a final report!

Soooooo, anyway, it was a relieving end to a very hectic day. I had a great conference with one of my mentors who was so wonderful to me and helpful. At first it was hard for me to read him, but I think he likes me now because he is very kind. I think he also got a feel for my attitude and approach to life because he told me that I don't need to win a Nobel prize for my research here this summer - and I have my whole life to research all sorts of intricate - never been done before projects. So, that was - obviously true - but really nice to hear. I am extremely grateful for his suggestions, time, and assistance.

Also, another women is back who was on a trip to Poland. She did a lot with Lisa Fleming, from the World Food Prize, to get me here and she does a lot with all of the interns. It was wonderful to finally meet her - she was very kind also and really concerned that everything was going well for me.

So, briefly, (this is getting rather long-winded, sorry!) I am still going to go with my same idea for what to study but instead of the formal institutions (which is too broad!), I am going to focus in on the government ones. I am very happy about this and also am happy I guess it has been a difficult decision process. I am very interested by a million different aspects, so that is always good.

After work I had an intense workout in the weight-room on campus with Christen (that was great!) and then we jumped in the pool with Sarah and Claire. Then at supper was when things got exciting again. You see, it may seem to you like I am relatively new here at ICRISAT, but that is far from the truth. Tonight we met some new blood! And I, by the way, am now practically an ICRISAT tour guide. Not really at all actually because this campus is gi---nor-moussss - but you get the point. We scoped out the new intern faces the past couple of meals in the cafe, but didn't have a chance to do the formal introductions until today. There are tons of people here - you could never meet them all. His name is Charley and he is from Bristol, England. He is doing an internship before his PhD and after a few yrs. of work experience. Also, we met another newbie - Sean - well he really is not a newbie, he has been coming here for much longer than me, but he was new to us!

He is a professor at a university in Cambridge, and is here for a week with some things for work. He gets to travel all over the world to these institutes on work for a week and that sounds like an exciting job! He is really kind and reminded me of a fatherly figure, so it was nice to have supper with him. (Almost like supper in Bankston with the 'rents! Well, I guess not, but pretty good for being you know, over 10,000 miles from home!) Yikes :) Anyway, there is this great Mogul fort nearby here I guess, a historical tourist attraction, so I think tomorrow after work, we are going to check it out. He has an ICRISAT driver (and vehicle) all lined up, so that will be riding in style (and cheap and safe too!). It was very nice of him to invite us - he seems like a good professor. I think another intern and I for sure will go. Which means, I really need to get to bed now!

But so much more happened too! I tried jackfruit today for the first time ever! The picture is above :) It is a little like pineapple but definetely not. I really liked it!!! My wonderful workmate, Chandrakala, bought and brought it for me - I am so lucky to be stationed in her room! Also, I think I had the most enjoyable Indian meal at lunch thus far. I mean this food is really really growing on me. I am at the point where I am really going to miss the dishes when I return - didn't see that one coming! I can't believe I didn't even get a picture, but I was too into my great meal.
Below, you will see a little video of one of the intricate creatures roaming the Indian soil. Seriously, the craziest thing ever! The way this bug walked was out of this world. We are pretty sure it was a freshly-hatched dinosaur that is getting ready to take over the world with an inconspicious name like Fred. Anyway, that is all for now, enjoy the short film, and sorry, I kinda forgot I was really zoomed in on Fred when putting the camera on my friends or me!

No comments:

Post a Comment