Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 15, the day of our departure to Maharashtra, India

I cannot believe it is the fifteenth of July already. My internship is already 1/2 of the way complete. I still am in disbelief about this entire opportunity. I cannot believe I am on this internship - I cannot believe I am in India - and I now cannot believe that I am finally going to visit my village - a 12 hr. drive and 6 day pilgrimage to the Akola district of Maharashtra. I am so grateful to Elizabeth - my godmother - for giving me this journal which is perfect to write in on my journeys like in the airport and now in the village. I am almost done with the first one. I also need to thank Peggy - my aunt - for giving me this handy-dandy money belt which I am taking to the village with me also. And Donna Huberty - my prayer group leader - who generously offered me a beautiful suitcase to bring, even though I didn't end up using it - thank you! Who else? Too many to name - just really wanting to send thanks out to all who have helped me in preparing for the trip and for all of the support you - my faithful blog-readers - have provided me!
Oh yes, the siblings, for providing me with an awesome grad. present of a digital camera - which has been the only reason I am able to capture some of these moments in the Indian sun to share. And Ben too, for the last-minute packing tips - if it wouldn't have been for you, I wouldn't have brought any cards to India (playing cards) and they will come in handy later on.
I just love every event that occurs here - whether good or bad, they all add to the richness of the experience. I think it is good to be easy-going and just take what life hands you - embracing it - regardless of how things could have or should have gone smoother. I have been maturing on this trip (the internship in India) and am reminding myself now, no matter how many bumps in the road you are encountering, someone is - many people are - experiencing a much bumpier road. I think of the women in India and Africa who need to walk several kilometers just to retrieve safe drinking water for their family. Then any obstacles or hardships or annoyances I have pretty much fade into the background.
I just learned a new word that means thank you, "Shukria" is how it sounds, probably not how it is spelled, but oh well! I wrote it 10 times so I will remember it! Now I can thank service employees places - at the hotel tonight I was able to try out the "Shukria" and the man was very honored. He was just tickled and spoke back in rapid-fire Hindi that he is just doing his job. People are not used to being thanked! I think it has to do with the social hierarchy. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment