Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28, 2010

Today has been a great day! I woke up at 6:30 with a lot to do and the start of a new work week. I still felt great this morning with my appetite back so that was exciting! I took tea break also this morning with my work friends. Tea break is really growing on me - I think I could get used to this! I got so much done at work today, I am working feverishly on my research proposal. Today I worked on the background, problem, and objectives part of the paper. I have yet to complete the methodology section of the paper, but I have the thesis of one of my advisors that will be super helpful with that. I plan to use a similar methodology due to the similarities of our projects, but I am going to hopefully add in some aspects of the caste system as well.
Everything here is so fascinating, I love talking with my Indian friends about the culture, customs, and various aspects of life here. Ben told me I would need to check out some good Bollywood movies for him, so I am watching one now that our friend, Anupa, recommended for us. She is an intern who goes to the Indian Institute of Technology - one of the best colleges around.
I am excited tomorrow is my birthday, I just remembered! Today three people asked, "Wait Leah, is it your birthday today, or tomorrow?" So, I know I will get some birthday wishes - maybe I can bribe some friends to sing to me in Hindi or Telagu or something! Tonight we went to the pool and it felt nice to relax in the pool and chat. I also said goodbye to one of my friends today. He was an intern here last year and goes to the London School of Economics. I may have written about him earlier. He will be going to Brown Un. next year for his PhD work and is from South Korea. It is so cool to share all of these different experiences and knowledge. I got to hear all about what it is like to live in South Korea and then another intern has lived in Singapore for the last 15 yrs. and is from Indonesia originally. I will keep you posted on the birthday festivities tomorrow! (Also, I have to make a note here: I just read a past post and saw I wrote their instead of there! I apologize for any and all grammatical errors - I am more worried about proofreading my work!) More later ;)

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Leeeeeaaaaah, Happy Birthday to you!!

    Best Wishes from Iowa,
    Linda (Claire's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,
    You are actually in India for your 18th - how special! Happy Birthday!!!
    Love and hugs,
    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah - Happy Birthday!! We enjoy reading your BLOG and wish you success as you progress through your program. Love, Peggy & Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Leah! I was holding my breath the whole time I was reading your blogs. I left you the last time at the airport trying to get to India. Sounds like things are going well.
    PS. This is a blog, do don't worry so much about the grammar. You are right about proofreading your work instead and, if I recall correctly, you will do a lot of that--even when the first draft was perfectly fine. In my prayers and thoughts, Dianne McDermott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah,
    I finally had time to catch up on your blog over the weekend. I am sure glad I knew from your mom that you actually arrived safely or I would have been worried sick about you. I think you are a brave and resourceful young lady who relied on your knowledge and faith to get you through--you are really an inspiration!!
    I have been keeping you in my prayers, and I pray for a wonderful birthday for you today! In the US, you will be considered officially an adult--is there a specific age for adulthood in India?
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    Love and prayers,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the wonderful b-day wishes! It is great to have such support from back home. Trish, one of my friends was telling me about the coming of age ceremony for the Hindu faith. At least for the males, at age 12 there is a big celebration/ceremony like 6 hrs. long!

    ReplyDelete