Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 22, 2010


Today was my first day of work. Claire, also with the WFP called me to awake me from my slumber, because I did not show at breakfast. (My erratic sleeping schedule!) I went to b-fast, then reported for work at 8:30. I was taken up to my office, where I was able to meet the many scientists in my division and learn from them more about what I would be doing this summer. Found out, it is kind of my choice! Within 2 wks. I need to have my project solidified and begin working on completing it. I will first learn about what it is my department at ICRISAT does, then I will decide the areas most of interest to me, and then I will begin with my Village Level Studies to obtain the necessary information. There are 6 villages I can choose between that data has been gathered from since 1975. We are attempting to see how they are adapting (or not) to the change in climate. There are scientists focused on the quantitative aspects of climate change, graphing rainfall, weather patterns, irregularity, etc., economists, and some more socially focused. I began reading a giant stack of papers, dissertations, and info. on climate change, village level studies, collective action (seeing if the communities are coming together in the face of the crisis or not), and other important areas to gain a background knowledge. It was my goal to finish the stack and I did. Goal no. one obtained. It took about all day and I have about 5 pgs. of typed notes from my work from day one. I then went back to one of the scientists to consult, but she was busy with another person. My mentor is on leave, who is head of the department, so I got to work with others in the same field. Padma, a very, very nice and knowledgeable lady who helped me (one of the documents I read was part of her PhD work) left me 2 more books for my work tomorrow. Rupsha, another really nice scientist, actually a sociologist, is creating a whole electronic folder for me to work on tomorrow. She also invited me to town to eat with the department, which I declined b/c of jet lag. I am off to a great start and just thrilled about my freedom in this internship. It seems like everyone is here to assist me in making this internship all I ever dreamed it would be and much more. I am headed to bed early tonight and skipping supper, I feel like I could drop after that poor night's sleep and an intensive day. I had to decline another invite to spend some time outside with other friends who are interns! I am gonna get a nickname: tired, offer-declining Leah!! (p.s. I also met a great friend who is an intern working on a 2 yr. masters program. He goes to the London school of economics and he is originally from singapore.) Wish me luck sleeping tonight and accomplishing more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment