Friday, June 25, 2010

June 24 & 25











Well, I have been one busy girl here in India. I am really making the most of my time - getting so much accomplished in one day, especially at work. I missed writing on the 24th due to my about 125-150 pgs. of reading I had to do that night for homework. Not much time for sleep there! It is a busy time for my project: first deciding on the topic, then the village in which to conduct my field visit, and then writing the whole research proposal which needs to be approved, probably with many changes first made. At work I now am moving upstairs in the building which will be a good thing. I am currently sitting in Professor Suda's seat, who is gone. The joke is that my friends and family will be so impressed - I came to India and completed my bachelor's, masters, and PhD in just a few days. Oh yeah, and also changed my name to Suda!




I will now be on the same floor as my mentors, which will be helpful - less time running up and down the stairs, so I guess not so much exercise either! I am in the same room as a really nice lady - working on gender studies in the villages - an interesting area of study I am sure. Here is what one of my title proposals for my project is: Adapting to Climate Change: An Investigation on the Effectiveness of the Formal and Informal Methods of Adaptation in the Kinkheda Village. This is going to be further specified and narrowed down even more to be able to complete a deeper analysis and effective study. My top mentor is still not at work, but the boss for the time arrived this week. He is a senior scientist, in charge of ICRISAT's programs in like 7 countries and in the field of Agricultural Economics. (That is the night I received the massive reading assignment.) Which I completed, and found my topic on the very last case study in the stack. Nothing like a revelation at 3:00 in the morning!




Last night, I went to the market for the first time with two people from my office. They have taken me under their wing - one of them being in my department. She tells me she sees herself in me - the same enthusiasm and hard work. (She of course, wants me to not work so hard, but when has that stopped me?!? She studied similar combinations of subjects in college and was telling me how difficult and time-consuming that would be, so for now, live it up!) They are bound and determined to also make sure I really experience India - so I will be playing the juggling act between fun and work. Today I better get started on my 2 inch stack of scholarly articles and case studies to read. Hopefully they will help me with developing my research proposal!
More Later!




Last night, they also got me my very own coconut! Right from the street! The man just cuts off the top and you drink the water - with many nutrients! Then you give it back to him and he chops it in half and gives you the fresh coconut flesh also! It was awesome! The picture is of my friend Anupa and me - Anupa is like a beautiful model -and my friend Rupsha took the picture. They are both actual employees of ICRISAT - Anupa in crop improvement and Rupsha on the Climate Change team with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment