Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 21, 2010




(More Dubai pics.)
Ichecked into the guesthouse and received a piece of paper to take to the dining hall. I was led to my room by a worker who did not speak very much English. I had still not slept one minute. I tried to ask him a few questions, but that is how I discovered the whole English thing. I thanked him and thought about how I had arrived safe and sound after such a tumultuous journey. Here I was, Leah Lucas finally at ICRISAT, but there was no parade, no festival, and no flashing lights or beating drums. There was simply early morning silence and peace. I helped myself to a mango that had fallen to the ground and I ran to my room with it. I went into the bathroom and looked myself in the mirror as I took this big step. Looking back at me was a slightly disheveled, but otherwise healthy-looking girl ready to eat her first mango - EVER! I smelled the mango, and my nose revolted.
I told myself to continue on, unafraid, as I peeled the skin with my teeth and tasted the ripe fruit. Wow! Strong! Sweet, and somewhat tangy in a way I had not expected. I was rudely shocked by this reaction of my taste buds b/c I had been looking forward to my 1st mango for weeks! I ran back outside and deposited the mango right where I had found it - the ground - and sneaked back inside, uncaught. I then needed to contact Lisa and let her know that I, the most difficult and worrisome intern (in terms of travel only, hopefully!) had finally arrived! I needed net access b/c I couldn't remember what room Claire was in and I had that info. online. I went to the guest entrance where I came from and asked some more questions. I got internet access, and the man told me b-fast began at 7:00. I emailed Lisa the good news and decided to go to b-fast, having no idea what else to do with myself. I still haven't slept. I met some other interns and enjoyed the international cafe. Food is good here, lots fresh, there are choices, and I will be happy with that. I found out where I needed to go to check in and another intern showed me that office. I also got to talk with Claire! I met some of the other interns. Some in university, but most done and/or working on masters degree. One showed me the office where I met very nice men. I began to do my paperwork for my stay at ICRISAT. I was quite tired: still no sleep and it was getting to be 10 a.m. I got all check-in work done and finally got to go back to bed for maybe 3 hrs. if I was lucky. I then had to wake up and go back to the office to call the airport and the man did that for me. He found out I needed to return to the airport so he called a driver and I went along for that. I got maybe 15 min. of sleep both there and back in crazy India traffic. More importantly, I got my bags!!!!! WOOO-HOOO!!! I was so happy upon seeing them, and in such disbelief, I could not take this ridiculous grin off of my face! I then returned to my rm. with my luggage, and tried to sleep for a couple more hrs. That night I went to supper with some of my new friends (also interns) and had a fun time. Two are from India, Claire from US, another from US, one from Canada, and me who have dinner together often. I was gonna go to bed but instead stayed up rather late and finally got to sleep at like midnight. I thought I could sleep 7 hrs. till 7:00, but woke up at 1:30 or so. I stayed up until 5 or so when I went back to bed until 7:15. I always thought of jet lag as being something that makes you tired, not unable to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment