Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23, 2010



I can't believe today was only my second day of work! I feel like I get so much accomplished each day, so that is great, especially considering my limited time. (Most interns here with me now will be here completing their projects until September and they arrived a few weeks before me. They are pretty much all in some type of educational program, like masters.) It is so exciting to experience this whole new culture and even cooler that there are people from all over the world so we are just a great mixture of cultures.
I have great respect for the Indian culture and there are so many neat aspects to comment on. During work hours, there are 2 tea breaks where the workers congregate for tea, coffee, snacks, and fellowship. This philosophy is entirely against the Western way of working. I was speaking to my friend interning in China with an International Rice Research Institute, where the tea break is also practiced, and he spoke of how in Western society, you get up, begin working and do not stop until nighttime when you go to bed. Busy people may not even take a lunch break, much less other breaks besides. We were commenting on this here with the fellow interns, and the joy the Indian people possess goes to show that they may just be onto something some of the world is missing out on. Although I fully appreciate the tea break, I must admit I don't necessarily practice the tea break! I just have much to do, so remain working often. Although, I may need to start going again because one of the kind scientists in our department called me tonight to be sure I was ok with all of the information that she gave to me to read. She said I could come over to her place anytime if we weren't in working hours but I had questions or needed help. Once again, I say, everyone here is really kind and hospitable.
Tonight after work I was pleased with what I accomplished and decided to have a fun night. I asked one of my friends if she wanted to go swimming with me (Claire) and of course she did because she loves to swim. It was a great and relaxing decision after a good day of hard work. Get this: there is even a diving board! It was a nice bonding time for Claire and I, and then after cleaning up, we went to supper.
I have my next couple of days planned out for work and what I hope to accomplish. Also, we are beginning to look ahead to the weekend. I was asking about a good Bollywood movie to my friend who is from India interning here, because Bro Ben gave me instructions to find the best one recently, so I think some interns may watch an Indian movie. Also, some of us are planning to do yoga and I am excited to learn all that she knows. The one other thing we are planning is the b-day celebration! (Next Tuesday I will have a birthday celebration. Maybe we can keep the year out of it because I am one of the youngest here!) Here is an example: A really nice and welcoming man introduced himself to me today. He is a scientist working with the seeds and just wanted to welcome me to ICRISAT and meet me when he saw me walking around. He then brought up the dreaded question about my education. He asked me if I was working on my PhD here! Of course, I then had to follow with the news I just got my high school diploma, and I explained the World Food Prize part a bit!
It is a great experience being around all of these very motivated students and scientists. All you need to do is ask a question to learn a lot - about whatever interests you. That is my goal, to ask away! More tomorrow, I am still combatting jet lag, but am buckling down now. I think tonight will be the night I make it through (sleeping that is!). The power of positive thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment