Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 26

Today is my very first Saturday on campus. I am enjoying the time to be able to work on some of my pre-college registration and just enjoy the lull in pace. In addition, I am enjoying the opportunity to reflect on my experiences here in just the past 5 days. It is a very demanding workload and information I must learn to be able to best conduct my research. However, it is also an incredible opportunity to be with such knowledgeable and experienced scientists working in the top of their field and this is one I am not going to pass up. It is quite the experience, indeed, and very enjoyable to be learning about an entirely new governmental system - due to my research topic.
As I continuously say, everyone here is so nice! But even more than that. Claire and I jokingly have developed our own "Indian family", and she has been there for me countless times: to have a familiar face in the dining hall that first week to having our own little sleepover with mosquito nets one night as well. Her kindness is just one example of all of the kindness here. The housing department is the first interaction I had upon arriving at the ICRISAT campus. They treat me like gold, and have repeated time and time again,
"We are your family. ICRISAT is safe and we are here for you 24 hours a day. If you ever need anything, just call us - 2550 - and we will send someone to help you. No matter what your problem is, we can help. We are your family here and we want you to be happy here."
LSU, the place where I registered and who took care of all of the logistics of my arrival where more than happy to assist me also. When I had the luggage issue, the man working there had me come back to use his phone, and then he actually called the airport for me to discuss how I could get my bags picked up. From the drivers to the housekeepers to the food staff to the scientists, everyone has taken so much time out of their day to make me feel as comfortable as possible and as secure.
Perhaps all of the above reasons also contribute to the fact that I have not really experienced culture shock in the least. The only time I experienced a culture shock phenomenon was when I was in the Dubai airport and feeling a little odd with my Western wear, displaying Christian symbols. That was more of an instantaneous oddity than any prolonged discomfort. It did bring to mind some interesting concepts though. I contemplated the value system, beliefs, and religious teachings behind the Arabic dress I viewed in the airport. After seeing so many Muslim women with their shawls and scarves, I began to think, "I hope I do not appear offensive or bother them because I do not follow that practice."
It is interesting how different cultures, religions, and backgrounds contribute to the identities of each individual person. I was a Christian dressed modestly, wearing no makeup, and hair styled by the wind (or airplane seats!). I was in line with my personal morals, which also are developed by my religion, experiences, and background teachings. In the very same note, they were Muslim women, perhaps wearing the abaya with only their eyes covered, or a more simplified head covering, often adorned with beautiful eye makeup. They were living and presenting themselves entirely in line with their teaching and their morals. That is the beauty of these international experiences, I think. It makes you look at yourself from a different perspective. It makes you see differences among people in a whole new light.
The religious and spiritual aspect of India was something that I did not really dwell on before coming, but one thing I read about I really admired and respected (in the book from my godmother, Elizabeth!). Religion in India is not a taboo subject. Religion is the center of their lives - moreso than I ever realized. One having a religion, whatever religion it is, is respected and appreciated. I felt as if I had much respect from the housing women who cleaned my room. They were always so friendly and kind to me, after cleaning around the tables with my cross wall hanging, bible, rosaries, and other Christian and Catholic religious symbols and items. I in turn have developed the deepest respect for their practices and beliefs. No, I do not believe in the same god or gods as them, but isn't our general purpose the same? We are all striving to connect with the Divine - to reach beyond the otherwise simplified and often puzzling or frustrating world in which we live. I walk past their shrines, statues, and holy pictures, all the while making the sign of the cross and thanking God for their faith, for their devotion, and for their dedication to religiosity and spirituality. It is a wonderful and beautiful experience to have such a relationship of mutual respect and appreciation regarding a topic that often can divide and alienate people.
One of my colleagues on the Climate Change team was inviting me to go to the Hyderabad museum and experience India with her. I asked about the museum and she said, they just have everything there - the most extensive collection. The art, the statues, and more. She lit up as she told me of the beautiful depiction of the Virgin Mary in the museum. I am sure there are millions of items related to the Hindu, Muslim, and other prominent faiths here, but she chose to talk about the faith to which I belong.
I am having a truly rich experience in India, broadening my perspective and allowing me to be thrown into an entirely different environment I obviously have never been in. I am infinitely grateful to the World Food Prize and Norman Borlaug for beginning this unbelievable opportunity. I will continue to cherish every new experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment