Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 27, 2010

Today is my very first Sunday on campus (fittingly, considering yesterday was my very first Saturday on campus!). Some interesting emotions hit me today, being my first Sunday without a Mass in I don't know how long. One of my mentors here actually volunteered to take me to church in the city about an hour from here on Sundays, however, she is currently in Poland - hence no real church opportunities for me in India. Some differences between the U.S. and India became quite apparent today as this was the first Sunday I have been able to experience. Everything here is posted: Monday to Friday, or Monday to Saturday, and Sunday is kept reserved as a holy day. When asking if something is available or open, you will hear, "Oh no, not today, today is a holy day." There just seemed to be an air of respect I am not used to regarding the concept of a holy Sunday. This is all so interesting to me also, because prior to knowing I was going to come here, I knew relatively little about Indian culture, customs, and religions. I felt knowledgeable just to know some reasons they wear a bindi - only to find out what the websites told me was sometimes wrong - at least for our area.
This morning as I walked past the little Hindi shrine on my way to breakfast, I did not get the same warm, wonderful, appreciative feeling as usual. I, embarrassingly, but honestly, felt a twinge of jealousy. My faith is of utmost importance to me, as it is to them. I was miles and miles away from my worship services, though, whereas they had every opportunity to worship God according to their religions here. I decided that these emotions needed to be made into something constructive so I set out to still have a holy Sunday myself.
There is a Catholic church/chapel on campus, (the super massive ICRISAT campus), and I had no idea really how to find it. I did know that Claire toured the church, temple, and mosque though, and at the time I thought that she biked there. (I later found out that she was taken on the 2.5 hr. tour of campus there.) So, I woke up at 6:00 a.m. and went to housing - the go-to people for anything (remember the sweet "they are my family" speech!?). I asked if I could have a map of campus, or if there were any maps. He did not have any and said there may be some in the visitors' center, but. . . it was a holy day so that would not be open! I then asked him if he knew where the church/chapel was on campus. He made a phone call (in Hindi, of course) to ask someone something! The phone call did not locate any maps and he asked me if I would like to go to the church. I said yes. He then said that there wouldn't be a priest there so I would have to conduct my own services, and I said yes that I knew that. (He was very kind during all of this and respectful also.) I asked him if he could point me in the right direction of the church and he did but said it was not within walking distance. I asked if I could rent a bike from Recreation today, and he said yes. So, I thanked him and went on my way. . . to be continued :)

No comments:

Post a Comment