Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 18: The Trip Begins!

Wow! The trip to India has finally begun. After talking for months, planning for weeks, and packing for many, many days, (ask my poor parents!), I think I am finally ready to go. At least, I hope so, because ready or not, here we go! The plane lurches forward and our speed increases as we head down the runway. All of a sudden, we are thrust into the air and we rapidly soar upward in pursuit of the ideal altitude. All should'ves, could'ves, and would'ves disappear as the farms, buildings, and Des Moines airport fade away beneath us until they become a distant blur. The airport environment is a unique one, with eacher person in the building ahving a different stroy to tell and life to live. Everyone has their own mission, yet the innumerable individual stories have an intricate and dependent relationship to one another as well. The scene while we were boarding the plane made me think about how we were ever so interconnected, indeed, yet we would not truly appreciate and value each others' companionship unless a crisis were to occur. Our fast-paced culture sometimes discourages taking the time to recognize our commonalities which unite us all as one. I must admit, somthing about the line of fellow passengers waiting to board the plane called to mind the plot of the TV show, "Lost"! However, after contemplating how well we would get to know each other living on some remote island after a plane crash, I realizzed that we are traveling one hour from Des Moines to Chicago! I guess I probably will not be finding any remote islands between here and there! Mom, Dad, and Anna all accompanied me to the airport and sent me off with love and hugs. I am incredibly blessed with such loving and supportive parents, siblings, extended family, friends, and a great church community. Your prayers mean the world to me as I embark on my adventure. I am simply thrilled to experience the Indian culture, to undergo an intensive learning and research project, and to enjoy the eclectic mix of cultures aat the International Institute in India! Already, I have some fellow passengers on our plane who, I believe will be with me for the entirety of the trip. Don't worry Anna, I will resist the urge to follow them! Life is truly an adventure and I am thrilled to experience this adventure ahead of me. I am anticipating some meals in the flights to come and am curious about what the entrees with consist of. (You know what they say about airplane food!) Oh well, regardless of the meal, I am well equipped with trail mix, shredded wheat, and an apple besides. Prepare for the worst and pray for the best - that is my philosophy! I think I may do a little reading now before this short one hour flight commences. My travel companions to the right of me are a lovely mother and daughter duo. They will be going to Italy and traveling to see the beautiful sights for an entire three weeks. I am thankful God sent them to me as a friendly reminder he will take care of me on this trip. Love to all of my family and friends! This is Leah, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment