Thursday, August 5, 2010

Quite a Productive Thursday

Well, today I had some more energy - so that was great. I am officially off the banana craze now. Finished - done - over. This morn. I had just one - and it was a green one, so not quite so bad. Bananas are one of the highest sugar fruits and I am making some modifications to get some more energy back! Bye, bye bananas :) I won't really miss you! (I think I have had enough for a lifetime!) (Long story short, white flours/sugars and antibiotics produce bad effects in my body. In normal life, I don't ever need to come in contact with them. However, during the sickness, first went in the white rice/ white crackers/ bananas/ white bread/ gatorade, and then after it was taking too long to run its course - went in the antibiotics - so my body was NOT too pleased with me after all it has been through!) -This has contributed to the tiredness I have been having lately, but today I am already feeling more energized! Can't wait to get to my chiro. upon arriving home and getting some good 'ol probiotics in me, but until then, the curd will do the trick here!

Anyway, so today I went on a buncha walks - during morning tea break, then on lunch break I took two - one before lunch, then one after lunch, and then in the afternoon I took one also! It is great - I have this certain path that I go each time so it gets to be quite a nice little routine. Once I am used to going also I am mentally in need of it each time. I will just get to the point of thinking of something stressful, and then it is like, "Well, walk time!" Then after the walk, I am ready to take on anything again! At first I usually feel sluggish, especially on my 1st one in the morn, but then by the end, I am feeling revitalized! :) I have to start planning now for some walk breaks around Wesleyan! Well, who knows, my class and life schedule may keep me treking across campus enough as it is! Not to mention I am excited to take advantage of the awesome sports facilities.

It is interesting to hear about how some classmates are moving in already or in the next couple of weeks. I am not yet on the wave for college. I am arriving at the in-between station right now. The limbo stage of life. I am sure everyone has gone through some in-between stage before. When you aren't ready to leave but you aren't planning to stay either. When your roots don't go much deeper than the bottom of your suitcase. Now that Claire is actually living her very last week here and talking of getting ready to head back to the states, it becomes more real for me also. It is crazy and I am so happy she is always a week ahead of me! A week ahead to arrive (posting great details and pics. on facebook of the gorgeous campus!) (Man that seems so long ago - yet also like it was just yesterday.) I cannot even fathom everything I have learned since that day I looked at pics. of ICRISAT online from Claire's experience.

The world has opened up, and with it: international travel, alone :), Dubai, India, climate change, real research, true poverty, great friends, caring people, lots of love and laughter, Indian villages, children playing, maturing, learning about new religions/cultures, life lessons, spiritual and philosophical journeys, and so much more has come into my life. Today during one of my walks, I was just thinking of how blessed I am to be at ICRISAT - for of course 99999999999999 reasons, but I will give you the simple one I was thinking of earlier. The NATURE! It is sooooooooooo beautiful here - I think that is why I have not been homesick. I mean some WFP interns were really in the city more than I am I think. This place is an absolute sanctuary - - a nature reserve! It is indescribable how pretty it is - the flowers - the trees - the wildlife - the lakes - the green grass - the rains sometimes - the sun sporatically - EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL! :)

The past few days it has been cutting lawn time, which of course is even better. Then you have the sensuous aromas of fresh grass clippings wavering around in the wonderful Indian day. I was talking to Dad earlier today about the weather back home and I heard the report was fairly muggy lately with a lot of rain. (3rd highest record for July in history or something!?) Man, crazy weather. . . don't get me talking about my report - we'll be here all day :)

I am so happy with my research and my project. I am really the only WFP intern I know that got to develop their own project with such great mentors to seek counsel from. These scientists here are all so talented. I was talking to someone the other day who told me he/she is moving to Africa!! Next month!! Going to work for the UN with some program where he puts in 2 yrs. and then gets to decide if he wants to stay on or move on! And the person is sooooo nice to me. Like all the people here.

My roommate at work is also great - offering me tidbits of advice every now and then. Always willing to answer questions for me. He is so talented. The report he is working on now is at 115 pgs. and climbing. And he tells me that he is proud to be hosting me in his room. He thinks the program and me being here at ICRISAT on behalf of the WFPrize is really something rare and neat!!

And I go to visit my old roommate and great friend, Chandrakala, also! She is so nice and I cannot believe the time is passing so quickly. I have all these people who want to visit me in the US so I hope that some of them are able to happen!

Tomorrow is the great big Pioneer visit, so I best be heading to bed soon. I have the paper already gone through another couple self-edits and now I have some colleagues giving me some outside feedback as well. Powerpoint presentation of my life is to come. (That is signifying I want it to be a good one!)

Alrighty, then. I am out.
Good night to all and to all a good night.
~ Leah Marie Abigail Lucas ~

No comments:

Post a Comment