Monday, August 2, 2010

Hit the 32 page mark!

Hello to all! Today was a productive day. I have enough length now for my report, so it is just time to finish, edit, edit, edit, edit, refine, change, and edit. Did I mention I may need to do some editing?!!? Ok, sorry, that is annoying even me! But anyway, then from my written report will come the oral presentation I will prepare next.

I got so much done at work and took a couple of short walks too during my tea times. That is my favorite thing to do. I just walk my little path and sing songs, enjoying the beautiful Indian air and weather. (Don't worry, when people pass me, I cut off the tunes!!)

I am loving my work and what I am doing is so much fun. It is going to be weird now being a student again w/ a buncha different subjects to study on any given day, when I have been so intensely focused on this project at hand. However, what an awesome thing this is to have this experience. I remember when I was intimidated by a much much shorter paper than this beast I am working on now! I was even worried about the 20 pg. World Food Prize report. I never thought I would have enough to write. Now I know the only struggle is going to be condensing a 40 pg. report into a 22 pg. one! That is just for the WFPrize though. That report is a little different because the formal research is only part of it. They also want to hear about our background, participation in the Youth institute, cultural experiences, etc. This ICRISAT report I will be working on until I leave here is obviously all about the research.

We have a seminar at wk. tomorrow I am thrilled for!! Tonight I was gonna head home after a long and successful (and tiring too!) day, when I had a meeting. So then I stayed later and had a great meeting I was so happy to attend. (It was with the man who will be presenting tomorrow.) Then when I got home to rm., it was like already time for 7:00 pm supper! So, the nights go fast here now that the work day goes so long! But what a great opportunity to spend time with such accomplished people - so motivated - all day long. Today, my work friend shared w/ me the secret to learning in research. He said, "Talk to the people. There are world-renowned researchers here. The ones at the top of their field. But they don't just go around with a nametag listing all their accomplishments. They are such humble people. You need to meet them - just informally, introduce yourself in the Canteen. Then they will teach you all you ever need to know."

It was cool - and very true! My friend is home from an ashram. Christen, my friend interning here from CA, USA, has been gone for the past 5 days. ICRISAT is such a time warp, when people leave it feels like they have been gone forever and like they have not been gone at all. It is so crazy. People are always coming and going - you would really need to get used to that if you lived and worked here. Just the people I like and have fun with who have helped me so much at work - now I will be headed out once again so soon! But, fortunately, many of them will be too. Going on for PhD's and stuff. So everyone is learning, growing, and moving here.

It was wonderful to welcome Christen back and hear of her experiences. She is a pretty cool chick - and brave too. She went to Bangalore alone - on a train - to go to the ashram. . . and she is just out of college. A 21 yr. old female - pretty street wise though. So, yes. I guess it is about time to head to bed. Another big day tomorrow morning and my body can't sleep past 7 am, so a good night's sleep means turning in a little early. Last night I had a bunch of crazy dreams! Claire, my friend was telling me of her crazy dreams recently so maybe there is something in this monsoon air!

Oh, yeah, and do you remember how I was soooo excited I now was gonna be able to start wk. at 8:30? Well of course right after writing that I decided I wanted to begin earlier. So now I get to take a key with me and I begin from 7:30-8:00ish. It depends, but either way, it is good to get there early and get some work done, and then stay there late and get some more work done too!

Ahhhh. I will sleep tight tonight.
More on India later :)
~ Leah ~

ps: I saw a hole that the 'squitors were entering room through in part of screen/window so I stuck a sock there! Successful as of yet! It has been a few days :)

pps: They chlorinated the water recently - it is stronger than before. I think they do that during monsoon season, b/c the bad bacteria/sickness n stuff increases. So, someone was like, "Well, is that good or bad!?" I was like, "Depends what way you look at it!" It may be the only time I don't mind a little chlorine in the water :) Although I may take advantage of getting a few water bottles with meals also!
G'dnite!

No comments:

Post a Comment